Can gluten free pancakes really be dairy free and low FODMAP too? Oh yes. But being from the UK, when I say pancakes, I’m more referring to the thin, light Crêpes rather than thick, fluffy American style pancakes of course.
Gluten free pancakes or gluten free crêpes? In my mind, it doesn’t matter what you call them, as long as you make me a big stack of them! Of course, these gluten free pancakes are dairy free as well as low FODMAP too… and guess what? They taste just like the pancakes my Mum used to make, rolled up with sugar and lemon.
The reason I say that this is the only gluten free pancakes recipe you’ll ever need is because, well… it just works! These pancakes will remind you of every good pancake day that you can remember (yes, even the ones when you could eat gluten if you can remember that far back!)
These beautiful, light, crispy and thin pancakes can be rolled up, topped with fruit or just eaten with a little sugar and lemon. I’m only here to tell you how to make them, not how to eat them!
Ever since we went to Paris recently, I’ve gone a bit mad for pancakes. If you’re looking to mix things up a little this Pancake day, then why not give my fluffy, vegan buckwheat pancakes recipe a try too?
You can use my buckwheat pancakes recipe for sweet or savoury toppings, but if you’re opting for savoury toppings, nothing beats my filled buckwheat galettes. You can literally fill them with any filling you like, just make sure you’ve got some nice, melty, dairy free cheese in there too!
This gluten free pancake recipe is incredibly simple to make and definitely something that is not just for pancake day in our house. Gluten free pancakes should be made all year round; they are far too delicious to make once a year.
We have a little conveyor belt system for making gluten free pancakes… I make the gluten free pancake batter, then Mark fries the pancakes and whilst he does that I prepare all the delicious toppings.
Ok, ok, here’s a few of our favourite toppings…
In Paris (more than in the UK unbelievably), they’re obsessed with Nutella. And if it’s not the brand Nutella, the combo of chocolate and hazelnuts is literally everywhere.
Whilst Nutella is gluten free, it’s sadly not dairy free for Mark! Fortunately, my homemade dairy free ‘nutella’ chocolate spread is perfect on pancakes too, so click here for the recipe if that’s something you’d prefer!
Here’s a few of our fave low FODMAP toppings though for some inspo:
- Banana and my homemade Nutella (avoid ripe banana if you’re on the elimination phase of the low FODMAP diet)
- Maple syrup and crispy bacon (just try it, trust me, it’s great)
- Peanut butter, maple syrup and blueberries
- Sugar and lemon (duh)
- Strawberries, maple syrup and crushed hazelnuts
So simple, yet so good. Thanks what I love about my recipe for gluten free pancakes! Here’s the recipe…
Gluten Free Pancakes / Crepes Recipe
- * 110 g gluten free plain flour
- * 2 large eggs
- * 220 ml dairy free milk or lactose free milk
- * oil or dairy free spread for frying
- * your choice of toppings
1) Pour your gluten free plain flour into a mixing bowl.
2) Crack in two large eggs and whisk / beat together until smooth.
3) Gradually pour in your dairy free milk whilst whisking. Do this until you have a lovely thin gluten free pancake batter. Place into a jug - now you're ready to make your pancakes!
4) Heat a little oil or dairy free spread in a frying pan, make sure the pan is nice and hot.
5) Pour the batter evenly into your frying pan, and tilt the pan to ensure that the entire base is covered.
6) Fry on each side for around 30 seconds.
7) Maybe a cheeky flip?!
8) Repeat till you have enough pancakes for everyone.
9) Top with whatever you fancy (FODMAP friendly portion sizes if needed) and enjoy!
It would be really interesting to know what your ultimate gluten free pancake toppings are. Do you keep it simple? Or, do you go all out with a full on indulgent feast?! I guess it’s just whatever floats your boat. Anyway, let me know by leaving a comment below, or on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
I hope you enjoy making these gluten free pancakes. Remember they are every bit as much dairy free pancakes too AND low fodmap – for me and Mark, the perfect combo.
I hope to hear that some of you have attempted a few gluten free pancake flips!
Thanks for reading,
Oh, and don’t forget to pin this before you leave!