If you’re considering making my gluten free chocolate pancakes recipe then you’re clearly a great human with amazing taste. But I mean, who could resist thick, fluffy, chocolatey pancakes with a Ferrero Rocher-style sauce?! This recipe is totally dairy free and low FODMAP too.
I’m 99% sure that pancakes are supposed to be more of a breakfast thing, but after creating this recipe… I’m now thinking that this would be fit for dessert! Either way, here’s my gluten free chocolate pancakes recipe with that lovely, nutty Ferrero Rocher-style sauce…
I mean, if it’s acceptable to eat chocolatey cereal for breakfast, then surely my gluten free chocolate pancakes recipe is also fine… right?!
(ok I may be reaching a bit here)
Can we all just agree that it’s some sort of breakfast/dessert hybrid and get on with our lives, please? …lives which consist of pancakes for every meal of the day of course.
In fact, if that’s your goal, then this post: 10 gluten free pancake recipes you won’t believe you can eat, will probably be quite helpful to you.
So now we’ve settled when you can eat them, what are they like?!
Well, since this is one of my last pancake recipes for a while (I literally created about 6 new ones in the last month!) I really wanted to go all out.
Not only are they my most chocolatey pancakes so far, but they’re also the thickest yet lightest and fluffiest pancakes out of the lot.
Then, once you add that lovely sauce, you’ve instantly got all that Nutella-like, Ferrero Rocher-style flavour and it’s just… unreal. I’m getting hangry just thinking about it!
So here’s a few cooking tips for my gluten free chocolate pancakes recipe…
- As these pancakes are pretty thick, it’s best to keep the heat of your hob pretty low. If you blast the underside of the pancake at a high heat, it’ll cook too quickly on the outside and the middle will still be raw. Cook these low and slow!
- Always, always, always make sure that you sieve your cocoa powder into your pancake batter. Otherwise you’ll just end up with tons of lumps that are near impossible to get rid of!
So there you go – nothing too complicated! If you’re looking for extra toppings then a little bit of banana goes a long way with this one. Raspberries work really well too with that intense, chocolatey taste!
So now you know how to cook/top these pancakes, here’s my gluten free chocolate pancakes recipe…
Gluten Free Chocolate Pancakes Recipe with Ferrero Rocher-style Sauce
- 200 g gluten free self raising flour
- 1 tbsp gluten free baking powder
- 2.5 tbsp caster sugar
- 300 ml milk (dairy free if needed - lactose free if low FODMAP)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (sifted)
For the Ferrero Rocher-style sauce
- 150 g dark chocolate (dairy free if needed)
- 100 ml milk (dairy free if needed - lactose free if low FODMAP)
- 50 g chopped hazelnuts (I'd recommend buying them pre-chopped!)
- Add your gluten free self raising flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Mix everything around.
- Add in your milk and eggs and whisk until smooth and consistent.
- In a small saucepan, add 1 tsp of oil and spread around with a brush or some kitchen roll. Turn on at a low heat.
- Pour your pancake batter into the saucepan. I used a quarter cup measuring cup to ensure each pancake was roughly the same amount.
- Wait until the top-side is starting to bubble and looks less wet and sloppy. This should take around 2 minutes at a low heat.
- Flip the pancake over for cook for a further minute or so.
- Repeat until you've used up all of your batter.
- For the sauce, grab a saucepan and place the dark chocolate and milk in it. Turn on a medium heat and gently melt whilst stirring occasionally until smooth and shiny. Turn off the heat and add the chopped hazelnuts.
- Pour your sauce over your pancakes and enjoy!
Thanks for reading all about my gluten free blueberry pancakes recipe! If you make them, I’d love to see how they turned out so don’t forget to take a snap of your creations and tag me on Instagram!
Plus, I’m giving away a £50 supermarket voucher every month to my fave pic, so get baking!
Any questions about the recipe? Please do let me know by following me on Instagram and leaving me a comment!
Thanks for reading,
Oh and don’t forget to pin this for later!