Here’s my ultimate guide to gluten-free Christmas chocolates in UK supermarkets for 2023, including tons of ‘accidentally’ gluten-free products you didn’t know you could eat. They’re on shelves right now, Coeliac-friendly and wheat-free.
The ultimate gluten-free Christmas chocolates guide 2023 – because not even gluten or a ‘may contain’ gluten warning should get in the way of enjoying chocolate at Christmas! Here’s everything I’ve found across Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s, Marks and Spencer, Aldi, Lidl and more.
The ultimate gluten-free Christmas chocolates guide 2023
Since this is a guide that shows specific chocolate products across a range of different supermarkets, that’s exactly how I’ve decided to divide them up. Here’s a few important notes on gluten-free Christmas chocolates shopping before we get started:
- Most of these products will be down the seasonal confectionary aisle, but the gluten-free and dairy-free chocolates are most commonly stocked down the free from aisle. So make sure you check both if you need to!
- Though I’ve listed this post by supermarket, you’ll also likely find these products in farm shops, garden centres, corner shops and bargain shops too. So don’t forget to check these places too!
- Just because one product from a brand is gluten-free, that doesn’t mean all of the other products from that brand are gluten-free too. That’s exactly why I create posts like this, so you can identify the ones which are safe in a sea of products that aren’t!
- Though I’ve checked all of the products myself, please ensure you check the ingredients labels on everything before you buy them. To be gluten-free, they shouldn’t have any gluten-containing ingredients or ‘may contain’ warnings for gluten, wheat etc.
- Some products that were gluten-free last year aren’t gluten-free this year, so don’t just blindly buy the same as last year!
- Don’t assume that all of the mini chocolate selection products are gluten-free. Yes, Quality Street and Roses are, but Celebrations are not gluten-free! Also, almost all of the Cadbury Heroes chocolates are gluten-free, apart from the ‘dinky decker’ inside – but I haven’t included Cadbury Heroes in this post as there’s no easy and clear way to post the product whilst clearly stating this caveat.
- Double check back with this list to confirm you’ve got the right product from the right supermarket. With so many of these products spread across so many supermarkets, it can be easy to forget which specific supermarket does what and end up buying the wrong thing. So be sure to check the ingredients first, or check back with this list first!
Using the contents list below, you can jump to particular supermarkets if you’re looking for somewhere specific, or feel free to just scroll down to see everything:
Gluten-free Christmas Chocolates 2023: Tesco
As with all these festive chocolate products, you’ll find them down the seasonal aisle and Tesco is no different.
You’ll find LOTS of stuff that’s ‘accidentally’ gluten-free, including small gifts and small sweet treats that’d make great stocking fillers.
Scroll to the bottom for one of the product I never expected to be gluten-free: Milkybar Speculoos, which is basically white chocolate flavoured to taste like Lotus Biscoff biscuits! What’s even more shocking is that regular Milkybar is never gluten-free, so make that most of that one especially for me.
See the bottom of this section for a nice selection of dairy-free AND gluten-free Christmas chocolates – note that you’ll likely have to head to the free from aisle for these products.
Gluten-free Christmas Chocolates 2023: Asda
Asda have a fantastic range of festive chocolates including own-brand honeycomb, fudge, slabs and truffles; I’ll include a few confectionary products like candy canes here too just because!
They also have all the classics, from Quality Street and Roses, to Quality Street bars and Cadbury chocolate coins.
In case you hadn’t noticed already, Christmas is often the time where we get products from brands that produce products we ordinarily can’t eat the rest of the year: Milkybar/KitKat festive friends, Cadbury Mini Snow Balls and Terry’s chocolate orange balls to name a few.
So make sure you make the most of these products this Christmas as they’ll soon disappear for an entire year once again!
Gluten-free Christmas Chocolates 2023: Sainsbury’s
And Sainsbury’s is no different when it comes to gluten-free Christmas chocolate; they have a brilliant selection of stocking fillers, small edible gifts and sweets too.
Take note of the grand Ferrero Rocher, which whilst not as exciting as you might first expect (it’s essentially a chocolate hazelnut Easter egg that’s empty inside) is still one of the few Ferrero Rocher products we can actually eat!
Otherwise, it’s a very similar situation to Asda here with a great choice of Sainsbury’s own-brand products as well as brands that you wouldn’t expect to be creating gluten-free products.
That’s the magic of Christmas, I guess! Sainsbury’s also has a fantastic selection of dairy-free Christmas products too.
Gluten-free Christmas Chocolates 2023: Marks and Spencer
Like most supermarkets, lots of the festive chocolate in M&S is gluten-free, but remember to be wary and ensure you check ingredients labels to ensure you have the correct product.
Mark’s and Spencer has the best selection of own-brand ‘accidentally’ gluten-free products so far – as you’ll see from scrolling down further.
But of course, as M&S largely only stock their own brand products, you won’t find Christmas classics like Quality Street and Roses here, so bear that mind if they’re of high importance!
Regardless, M&S’ seasonal aisle a great place to pick up a unique gluten-free gift that maybe your recipient hasn’t seen before… unless they’ve also read this post!
Gluten-free Christmas Chocolates 2023: Aldi
Like most supermarkets, you’ll find some decent options in Aldi when it comes to small festive sweet treats or boxes of chocolates for sharing or gifting. These would all make good stocking fillers!
Aldi’s range of truffles are the standout here, not just being for being ‘gluten-free’ and having a nice selection, but also for their affordable price. Also, the ‘milk chocolate mountain bar’ is like a cheaper Toblerone!
Of course, there’s no classics like Quality Street or Roses here, so you’ll have to head to either Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s, Lidl, Waitrose or Morrison’s for those.
Sadly, if you’re dairy-free, you likely won’t find anything in Aldi that’s suitable at all here.
Gluten-free Christmas Chocolates 2023: Lidl
Fortunately, there’s some variety and choice when it comes to seasonal chocolates and treats in Lidl and even… *world’s biggest drumroll*
An actual dairy-free product! Yep, make sure you note the MooFree selection box as in Aldi for example, you won’t find any dairy-free options at all. It may not be much, but it’s something!
Note that Lidl actually does have Quality Street and Roses too, whereas Aldi didn’t when I last popped in.
Gluten-free Christmas Chocolates 2023: Morrison’s
Morrison’s is a great place for all the big brand ‘accidentally’ gluten-free products, but apart from a handful of own-brand products, there isn’t quite as many own-brand products as you’ll find in Tesco, Asda or Sainsbury’s.
But even still, between the grand Ferrero Rocher making an appearance once and again the amount of KitKat and Milkybar festive friends you’ll find in Morrison’s, I’m pretty sure you won’t struggle to find something you’ll like!
Of course, I’ll include a few sweets in here too since I found them in the same aisle.
Gluten-free Christmas Chocolates 2023: Waitrose
And if you head over to the seasonal aisle in Waitrose, you’ll find LOTS of stuff that’s ‘accidentally’ gluten-free.
Waitrose has four of Mark’s favourite dairy-free options thanks to the NOMO and Booja products.
A lot of these products would make great gifts and the own-brand Waitrose products not only sound/look delicious, but obviously, you also won’t be able to pick these up anywhere else.
Oh and hit the button below to grab a copy of my new book ‘Gluten-free Christmas’ which is currently £11 for who knows how long!
The ultimate gluten-free Christmas chocolates guide 2023: Don’t forget to check out these Christmas supermarket posts too…
Thanks for joining me for the ultimate gluten-free Christmas chocolates guide 2023! What did you think? Which one was your favourite?
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram for the latest product finds and tons of festive recipes to come! Make sure you watch/like/comment on any videos you see if you want to see more as Instagram has a habit of hiding them from you if you don’t.
Thanks for reading,