The great British picnic season is hiding just around the corner. But being prepared means so much more than having an umbrella and rain coat at the ready. You’re going to need my 3 easy-peasy gluten free picnic recipes too!
You’d be surprised how far a loaf of gluten free bread goes when planning your picnic spread. All 3 of my gluten free picnic recipes were made using a loaf of Juvela gluten free bread and they’re perfect for eating on-the-go! So what’s on the menu?
I’ve been invited to a few picnics since going gluten free, but there’s barely ever anything I can actually eat. I’d be happy with just a few freshly made gluten free sandwiches, but after years of going without, I decided to go one step further…
So here’s the big reveal! First up, we’ve got mini margherita pizzas, peanut butter and jam toast cups and mini cinnamon and sugar fresh toast with maple syrup. Boom.
Now that’s a gluten free picnic that I’d like an invite to!
It’s sad that for most gluten free folks, a picnic certainly isn’t a walk in the park.
(well, it might literally involve a walk in the park, but you know what I mean!)
I mean, you can’t exactly just rip open a pack of sausage rolls or scotch eggs can you?
But trust me, there’s so many ideas you can create with a loaf of Juvela gluten free bread that are soooo much better than those things!
So get your loaves at the ready and let’s get started!
1. Mini Gluten Free Margherita Pizzas
Who doesn’t love a mini pizza at a picnic? Mine has a beautifully rich pizza sauce and stringy mozzarella, plus Juvela gluten free bread makes the perfect base – hot or cold.
It’s light, fluffy and crispy and the kids will absolutely love it!
- * 6 slices of Juvela gluten free white bread
- * 100g passata
- * 1/2 tsp basil paste
- * 1tsp garlic infused oil
- * 1 tsp mixed herbs
- * salt and pepper
- * mozzarella, grated
- * fresh basil leaves
- * any other toppings you fancy (optional)
- 1) Roll each slice of Juvela bread with a rolling pin so it's slightly more flat than usual.
- 2) Using a circular cookie cutter, cut out 1 round shape per slice.
- 3) Place in the oven (200C) on an oiled baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- 4) Make your pizza sauce. Mix together your passata, basil paste, garlic infused oil, mixed herbs, salt and pepper.
- 5) After 5 minutes remove your bases from the oven. Spoon about a tbsp of sauce on each base and then sprinkle with grated mozzarella.
- 6) Place back in the oven for a further 5 minutes until the cheese has melted and the base is a little crisp.
- 7) Finish with a fresh basil leaf on top. Enjoy!
- * Don't waste the excess bread! You can do loads with it. I often fry mine off and make croutons!
2. PB&J Gluten Free Toast Cups
This started off as a jam tart with a crispy bread case – but I figured I could do one better! So instead, I combined my two favourite flavours, peanut butter and strawberry jam.
Say hello to my PB&J toast cups!
Trust me, this one is so simple, yet so satisfying. The Juvela gluten free bread case is so light and crispy – just like a perfect slice of toast.
Save one for me, please!
- * 6 slices of Juvela gluten free white bread
- * peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, whichever you prefer!)
- * jam (your choice of flavour - strawberry or raspberry would be my pick!)
- * oil, to grease your muffin tray
- 1) Use a little oil to grease your muffin tray.
- 2) Roll each slice of Juvela bread with a rolling pin so it's slightly more flat than usual.
- 3) Using a circular cookie cutter, cut out 1 round shape per slice.
- 4) Gently press your circles into each muffin hole.
- 5) Place in the oven (180C) to lightly crisp for about 5 minutes.
- 6) Remove from the oven and fill each cup with half peanut butter and half jam.
- 7) Place back in the oven for a further 6 minutes, or until the bread has become a little more golden.
- 8) Remove and enjoy hot or cold!
3. Sugar and Cinnamon Gluten Free French Toast with Maple Syrup
French toast is so easy to take out and about with you and a few little twists easily make it the ultimate gluten free picnic treat.
I absolutely adore donuts rolled in cinnamon and sugar and for me, French toast should be no different! I take a little maple syrup with me in a mini jam jar for good measure too.
- * 4 slices of Juvela gluten free white bread
- * 2 large eggs
- * 60ml milk
- * 2 tsp sugar
- * 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- * 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- * butter or oil, to cook in
- * icing sugar and cinnamon, for dusting at the end
- 1) Mix together your eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- 2) Take a slice of your bread and soak it in the mixture.
- 3) Heat up a frying pan with a couple of tbsp of either butter or oil.
- 4) When the pan is hot, gently place the bread into the frying pan. Cook on both sides until lovely, crisp and golden.
- 5) Remove the french toast from the pan.
- 6) Dust with icing sugar and cinnamon.
- 7) Serve up with whatever you fancy - I like mine with maple syrup, which you can easily take with you on the go. Enjoy!
Thanks for reading how to make my 3 gluten free picnic recipes! If you make them, I’d love to see how they turn out. So absolutely make sure that you send me a pic using my social media links below…
You can find Juvela gluten free bread fresh in Tesco and their longlife bread and part baked roll in Morrisons. They have a store locator on their website which you can find by clicking here.
Thanks for reading,
This is a sponsored post in partnership with Juvela.
Oh and don’t forget to pin this for later!