Gluten free pineapple upside down cake anyone? My recipe is a wonderful slice of tropical heaven, taken right out of the 50’s and 60’s. I’m not sure how well they catered for gluten free, dairy free and low FODMAP back then, but my recipe certainly does!
My gluten free pineapple upside down cake recipe is as true to the original as they come. Yellow rings of glory with glacé cherries beaming proud, this recipe will take you straight back to the 50’s and 60’s (well, if you were alive then/still remember it). But of course, without the gluten and dairy and low FODMAP too!
Mark has been politely hinting at me to make him a gluten free pineapple upside down cake (that’s dairy free too) for months on end now. Our generation certainly missed the pineapple upside down cake boom by several decades, so he’d never even tried one!
But of course, once you see that sticky, shiny glazed sponge topped with golden pineapple and cherries strategically placed in the middle, who could resist?
If you’ve never had a gluten free pineapple upside down cake either, you’re in for a treat. As you can probably see by now, the sponge is insanely moist, sticky and sweet thanks to the upside down-ness of the cake. The same goes for the pineapple rings too which soak up all of that wonderful syrupy mixture at the bottom of the baking tin.
Never before will you have tasted tinned pineapple as good as in my gluten free pineapple upside down cake. I love how a few simple, humble ingredients can be transformed into the retro masterpiece that is the gluten free pineapple upside down cake.
Hungry yet? My gluten free pineapple upside down cake recipe is as simple as they come, but the results are stunning. You won’t taste pineapple upside down cake this good unless you have a time-machine… or it’s probably easier if you just follow the recipe below!
- * 100g golden caster sugar
- * 100g dairy free spread
- * 100g gluten free self raising flour
- * 1 tsp baking powder (make sure your's is gluten free)
- * 1 tsp vanilla extract
- * 2 medium eggs
- * 1 tbsp maple syrup
- * 50g light soft brown sugar
- * 50g dairy free spread
- * 5-6 pineapple rings, drained (I always get mine in juice)
- * glacé cherries
- 1) Preheat your oven to 180C / 160C Fan.
- 2) Start on your topping. Cream together you dairy free spread and soft brown sugar (you can use a electric whisk or a good ol' wooden spoon!).
- 3) Thinly spread the mixture over the base and slightly up the sides of a round cake tin (use a standard size cake tin that you would use for a sponge cake).
- 4) Arrange your pineapple rings on top. I manage four whole rings and then cut the others for the edges.
- 5) Place glacé cherries in the rings and generally dotted around the cake.
- 6) Onto the cake. Place all of your cake ingredients into a bowl and mix together with an electric whisk until soft, light and fluffy.
- 7) Spoon your cake mix on top of your topping evenly.
- 8) Bake in the oven for around 35 minutes.
- 9) Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before turning out onto a plate (remember it's an upside down cake!).
- 10) You can serve this warm with some ice cream or just enjoy it cold. Trust me, it won't last long!
Thanks for reading,
Oh, and don’t forget to pin this before you leave!