Chinese chicken curry is a dish that should sit proudly within every Chinese Takeaway. My gluten free Chinese Chicken Curry is so simple to make and tastes really authentic. As I said, it is gluten free and it’s also low FODMAP.
I loved having a Chinese takeaway when I was younger. We didn’t have one very often, but that made it even more special. We had our dishes that we would always order… sweet and sour fish, egg fried rice, chilli beef, chow mien AND Chinese chicken curry!
For me not being able to have a Chinese takeaway ever again was a disastrous thought. Not only is Chinese takeaway food very often ladened with gluten but for those who have IBS and might follow the low FODMAP diet, onion and garlic is everywhere!
So what did I do? I made my own low FODMAP and gluten free Chinese chicken curry!
This recipe is certainly not just one for those who are gluten free and/or low FODMAP. My gluten free Chinese chicken curry is a dish that everyone and anyone will enjoy.
We had a lot of family round earlier this year for a homemade Chinese takeaway dinner. Of course it was all gluten free and low FODMAP however none of them have any dietary requirements (just Mark and I!). Everyone loved my gluten free Chinese chicken curry. It probably went down the best and the recipe has been handed out quite a few times since!
We cook this up nearly every week as it really is so simple. If people think that low FODMAP food is boring, then get them to try this. Who needs onion and garlic anyway!
As a curry it isn’t too spicy but it has just enough heat. The gluten free curry sauce is immense on its own. I’m always tempted to make a batch and have it to dip my chip shop chips in!
Most of the time however, I serve my gluten free Chinese chicken curry with sticky jasmine rice. The combination is perfect, the rice really soaks up the sauce. I always put fresh chives on top as well. They make for a nice subtle crunch as well as being a low FODMAP eaters best friend! If you didn’t know, chives actually just taste and smell like onion.
As you will see in the recipe, I don’t cook the chicken for very long. If you chop it thinly it cooks very quick in the sauce and becomes lovely and tender. I have in the past used chicken thighs as well which work equally as well.
My favourite recipes to create are those that allow me and you to eat dishes that we might otherwise not be able to due to not being gluten free or low FODMAP.
Right, on with the recipe!
- * 2 tbsp coconut oil
- * 200g carrot (2-3 carrots)
- * 2 chicken breasts, chopped
- * 2 tbsp gluten free plain flour
- * 400ml gluten free chicken stock (for low FODMAP ensure your stock contains no onion or garlic powder)
- * A dash of gluten free soy sauce
- * 2 heaped tsp of mild curry powder (I make my own to ensure low FODMAP, recipe linked below)
- * 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- * 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- * Fresh chives, chopped
- 1) Prep your carrot. I spiralise mine but you can slice or chop yours if you prefer. Just keep the pieces fairly thin.
- 2) In your wok heat your coconut oil. Once melted, add your carrots and fry until slightly softened, this should take about 5 minutes.
- 3) Add your flour, curry powder, chilli flakes, cumin and ginger to the wok. Next coat the carrot.
- 4) Straight after this add your chopped chicken breasts and coats these as well. Continue to do this for about 1 minute.
- 5) Pour over your chicken stock and add a dash of soy sauce.
- 6) Allow to simmer for around 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. The sauce should be lovely and thick.
- 7) Serve on top of a bed of sticky jasmine rice and sprinkle some fresh chives on top.
- 8) Enjoy!
- Low FODMAP curry powder recipe: http://glutenfreecuppatea.co.uk/2017/07/09/low-fodmap-curry-powder-recipe/
So there you have it, my gluten free Chinese chicken curry is the perfect dinner any day of the week. It’s very simple and tastes so authentically like that of a Chinese chicken curry straight from the takeaway.
Let me know if you get the chance to try this recipe and if you have any other Chinese takeaway dish requests. I’m more than happy to give some more a try! Just leave a comment below, or on Facebook/ Twitter/ Instagram.
Also, if you would like to check out my low FODMAP curry powder recipe, you can find it by clicking right here.
Thanks for reading and happy gluten free Chinese chicken curry eating!
Oh, and don’t forget to pin this before you leave!