Gluten free Penguin bar recipe, anyone? Yep, they’re just like the classic chocolate bars that you might have had in your lunchbox! Only mine can easily be dairy free and vegan too…
Gluten free Penguin bars recipe – this might be the most simple recipe EVER here on the blog. It only needs 3-ingredients and you don’t need to bake them or even switch your oven on. How long has it been since you last P-P-P-picked up a Penguin?! 😂
Ok, I have a confession to make before you get to the recipe card on this one. Firstly, this recipe is dangerously simple! Some may say basic, but I prefer simple 😂
But hopefully, that means more of you guys can make it and more of you guys can enjoy it! I’d say anyone out there can make these and it’s a great one to make with young kids too.
By creating this post, I more wanted to share the idea of the recipe, instead of schooling you on the method or specifying really specific measurements. I mean, for this one, you don’t really even need weighing scales or anything, so there’s that too.
So here’s my confession… my gluten free Penguin bars are essentially a gluten free Bourbon biscuit, coated in melted chocolate with little oil added. Yes, really… but they genuinely taste exactly like a classic Penguin bar!!!
Now you know my little secret! I actually saw the idea in a vegan Facebook group because of course, Penguin bars aren’t gluten free or vegan either.
But Morrison’s actually sell a gluten free Bourbon biscuits that’s not only gluten free, but it’s dairy free and vegan/egg free too! Here’s the link to them.
Other supermarkets do sell gluten free Bourbon biscuits, usually made by Schar, but these aren’t dairy free/vegan FYI. So you’ve got both options there to choose from!
Schar’s Bourbons aren’t long and thin like a classic Bourbon – they’re more like a custard cream shape. For a true ‘authentic’ Penguin bar look, it’s defo best to go with the Morrisons version!
And I know what you’re thinking… it’s not a real Penguin bar if it doesn’t have a terrible joke on the back, right? Well, here you go…
Q. What do you call a Penguin with no eye?
A. A Pengun.
Q. Why did the two Penguins jump when they first met?
A. They were trying to break the ice.
Q. What does a Penguin eat on its birthday?
A. Fish cakes.
Had enough of these terrible jokes yet? 😂 Ok, on with my gluten free P-P-P-Penguin bar recipe!
Ok, so here’s everything you’ll need – as I said earlier, it’s not a long list at all!
Ingredients for my gluten free Penguin bar recipe
- gluten free bourbon biscuits (linked above)
- 200g milk chocolate
- 1 tsp oil (any flavourless oil)
If you skipped the previous parts of this post, scroll back up for recommendations of which gluten free bourbon biscuits to buy and where to find them 👆🏻
And here’s 5 incredibly simple steps on how to make my gluten free Penguin bars recipe:
1. In either a bain marie or a glass dish in the microwave , begin by melting your milk chocolate. If you melt it in the microwave, ensure you stir the chocolate every 15 seconds or so to stop it from burning.
2. Add 1 tsp of oil to your chocolate and mix it in. This will help it to set better, otherwise melted chocolate can set to be rather solid.
3. Dip your gluten free bourbon biscuits into the melted chocolate one by one. Cover all sides of it. Carefully leave it to dry on a cooling rack (or anything else that you can easily get them off) whilst you make as many as you want to!
4. Once you have done them all, place them in the fridge (ideally on the cooling rack if you have space) to chill and set. This should take around 30 minutes.
5. Then they’re ready to enjoy!
And that’s it! If you want a printable version of this recipe, or you just kindly want to leave me a star rating, then you can do both on the recipe card below 👇🏻
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 20mg Carbohydrates: 13g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g
Any questions about the recipe? Please do let me know by following me on Instagram and leaving me a comment on a recent photo!
Thanks for reading,
Oh and don’t forget to pin this for later!