It’s been a while since I’ve made a good crumble, so give a big high-five to my gluten free apple berry crumble recipe! It’s totally dairy free and vegan too.
I really wanted to end that sentence with ‘let’s get ready to crumble’ but fortunately for all of us, I managed to end it in a non-cringeworthy manner. I bet you’re so proud of me! Ok here’s my gluten free apple berry crumble recipe…
My gluten free apple crumble recipe is something I’d never change for the world – it’s just perfect as it is and I could eat it every day if I could.
(that is what the doctor meant when he said ‘an apple a day’, right?!)
But how about adding a few added extras to put a little twist on an absolute classic? Is that ok?!
Well I’ve only gone and done it anyway and to be fair, my gluten free apple berry crumble recipe is like a totally new dessert.
So to those lovely, chunky Bramley apples, I added some blackberries and raspberries.
These not only give the apples a lovely vibrant colour, but they also add a little extra sharp ‘zing’ to the filling.
And it is actually divine. I didn’t think I’d ever improve on my classic apple crumble, but this is pure heaven!
I also adapted my crumble recipe on top a little to and added a veeeery small amount of gluten free oats. I’m not usually an oat fan in crumble, but when mixed into my usual crumble mixture… it just works.
Ok, so here’s my gluten free apple berry crumble recipe!
My Gluten Free Apple Berry Crumble Recipe (dairy free + vegan)
For the crumble
- 170 g gluten free plain flour
- 85 g hard margarine (or butter if not dairy free)
- 70 g light brown sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 50 g gluten free oats (if you can't tolerate oats these can be removed)
- 40 g pecan nuts, chopped (this is optional)
For the fruit
- 300 g cooking apples (you can use other apples if you prefer)
- 30 g hard margarine (or butter if not dairy free)
- 30 g light brown sugar
- 70 g blackberries
- 70 g raspberries (you can change the berries up if you want)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Rub together your hard margarine (or butter) and gluten free plain flour. Do this until it forms a breadcrumbs texture.
- Stir in your sugar, cinnamon, pecans and oats. Put to one side whilst you tend to your fruit.
- Peel and chop your apples. (The smaller you chop them the more of a compote texture you'll get. I tend to leave mine a little chunkier, but they still totally soften once cooked).
- Place your 30g hard margarine (or butter if not dairy free) and 30g sugar into a saucepan and gently melt them together. Once melted leave on a medium heat for a couple of minutes so it starts to try and caramelise a little.
- Then add your chopped apples and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. Stir in for 2-3 minutes before adding your berries. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes - some of the berries will start to break up a bit.
- Pop your oven on 180C Fan.
- In your ovenproof dish (I used a skillet but any dish could be fine) place all your fruit and any juices. Top with your crumble mixture evenly and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes. The top should be a little golden and the fruit all cooked.
- Serve up with your choice of custard, ice cream or cream. There are dairy free options of all of these available. I like to make my own custard 🙂 Enjoy!
Thanks for reading all about my gluten free apple berry crumble recipe! If you make it, I’d love to see how it turned out so don’t forget to take a snap of your creations and tag me on Instagram!
Plus, I’m giving away a £50 supermarket voucher every month to my fave pic, so get baking!
Any questions about the recipe? Please do let me know by following me on Instagram and leaving me a comment!
Thanks for reading,
Oh and don’t forget to pin this for later!