When recreating my 4 ingredient gluten free waffle recipe, please don’t forget the most important ingredient of all… owning a waffle maker! Oh and my recipe is dairy free and low FODMAP too.
But there’s no need to be ashamed if you don’t own a waffle maker when you can just pick up an awesome one up here for £25 (affiliate). Ok, so waffle makers at the ready? Here’s my 4 ingredient gluten free waffle recipe…
Waffles are one of those things that you just cannot make without a waffle maker, so I thought I’d at least try and help to weigh in on what makes a good one. So here’s a few options.
1. For the outdoorsman: Oddly enough, Mark loves making waffles on the BBQ (I know I say a lot of weird things, but this is actually true!). He makes them using this, which fits our Weber BBQ. It’s like a beastly cast iron thing which totally isn’t necessary, but try telling him that!
2. For the people who just want to eat waffles: Something like the one I linked above is perfect and realistically, you don’t need to go any more overboard than this. It can be a little hard to clean though.
3. But recently, I was gifted this absolute beast which might be one of the BEST waffle makers I’ve ever used (so it should be for the price ?) It has a little moat to catch any batter overflow, which is an inevitability when you make waffles!
But it doesn’t really matter what you choose… as long as you have something! Ok we can proceed with my 4 ingredient gluten free waffle recipe now…
(The links above are affiliate links which go towards supporting the blog, but it doesn’t cost you anymore to use them!)
Now not a lot of people are really aware of this, but waffles are great for sweet or savoury dishes.
Obviously maple syrup, fruit, Nutella and all those sorts of toppings taste awesome but more and more I’ve seen stuff like roasted duck, fried chicken and brunchy stuff served on waffles.
And you know what? It’s an insanely awesome combo!
The waffle soaks up stuff like egg yolks, meat flavour and all that goodness and it’s such a nice light and fluffy base for pretty much anything.
When it comes to making my 4 ingredient gluten free waffle recipe, you need to have some sort of basic grasp of your own waffle maker as they’re all gonna vary somewhat.
I know this might pain you read but… you might have to actually read the instructions for once! *gasp*
Basically, it’s because first of all, your own waffle maker will instruct you how long to cook your waffles for (though I’m still an advocate of ‘if it looks done, then it’s done!’). All waffles makers will defo vary in how quickly they heat up and how hot they can get etc.
(My spaceship-high-tech waffle maker for example has a bunch of different settings depending on how crisp you want them)
And also, every waffle maker is gonna vary in how much batter you can pour into the machine before it drastically overflows and leaks everywhere. So get those instructions out!
But if you’ve long-since recycled the instructions along with the box (textbook me) then it’ll only take you a couple of waffles before you get used to your new waffle maker!
Oh and there’s actually zero sugar in the actual waffles because in my mind, if you’re piling on tons of fruit and maple syrup, there’s really no need to add sugar into the actual mix.
Then, if you’re opting for savoury toppings too, there’s no need for it either. Plus, it means you only need 4 ingredients and that is just plain awesome!
Anyway, here’s how to make my 4 ingredient gluten free waffle recipe…
My 4 ingredient gluten free waffle recipe (dairy free, low FODMAP)
- 300 g gluten free self-raising flour
- 500 ml milk dairy free or lactose free if needed (we used lactose free)
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- Start by combining all your gluten free self-raising flour and gluten free baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Crack in your eggs, pour in your milk and whisk by hand. The batter should become smooth and without lumps.
- It's time to heat up your waffle maker! It's best to follow the instructions that came with your waffle maker from this point, but I'll share ours in case you've misplaced yours...
- I like to brush a little oil into my waffle maker to ensure it doesn't stick - even though the instructions don't ask me to! (trust me, non-stick isn't as non-stick as they want you to think it is) Once heated up, pour in your batter - but make sure you don't put in so much that it spills over the edge of the waffle maker. Close the lid.
- At this point, our waffle maker setting cooks them for around 5 minutes.
- Once golden on the outside, remove and repeat until you've used up all your batter. Enjoy!
Thanks for reading how to make my 4 ingredient gluten free waffle recipe! If you make them, we’d love to see how they turned out so don’t forget to take a snap of your stack and tag me on Instagram!
Any questions about the recipe? Want more gluten free/dairy free/low FODMAP recipes on tap? Please do let me know by following me Instagram, leaving me a comment or just stopping by to say hello!
Thanks for reading,
Oh and don’t forget to pin this for later!