You can’t knock good gnocchi! That’s why my gluten free cheesy gnocchi and spinach bake recipe is back and better than ever. Plus, it’s low FODMAP too!
It’s back? Where has it been? Well okay… I just forgot about it. But since I’m always on the search for weekday meals that are quick, convenient and actually edible, I can’t believe that I ever stopped making this. So welcome back to my new and improved gluten free cheesy gnocchi and spinach bake recipe!
Now as you might have noticed, creating your own gluten free gnocchi from scratch is far from quick and convenient! That’s why I always cheat and buy my own fresh gnocchi from the supermarket.
(cue the sound of fellow food bloggers frowning. I do realise that frowning doesn’t necessarily result in a sound but ignore that.)
Anyway – fresh gluten free gnocchi I hear you ask?!
Yep, that’s right. Just head to Asda and in the chilled section, you’ll find fresh gnocchi that just so happens to be gluten free. Click here for evidence.
It’s a million times better than the gnocchi you’ll find in the free from aisle, so it’s well worth going out of your way for! You will ‘gnocc’ regret it.
Now you’ve got your gnocchi in your shopping trolley, what the hell do you do with it?!
Well, those were my thoughts exactly when I first picked up my first ever bag of gluten free gnocchi. I’d never had gnocchi before I was gluten free!
I threw together this recipe using a few things in my cupboards and have never looked back. As you can tell, it was one of those evenings where you have to make a meal out of whatever you can find!
Fortunately for me, with a few simple ingredients, you can easily create a mind-blowing gnocchi bake in no time.
As Mark is lactose intolerant, we’ve really embraced the lactose free cheese available in supermarkets these days. There’s tons in Tesco FYI.
But of course, if you don’t have a problem with lactose or dairy, you can easily mix it up with any cheese you like!
I’d recommend grated mozzarella and mascarpone (both at once of course) for the ultimate cheesy, stringy, crispy-on-top bake.
But if you’re totally dairy free, you can’t go wrong with some grated VioLife and Mozzarisella instead!
This recipe is also completely vegetarian! I know it’s tough to find gluten free AND veggie food, so hopefully this floats your boat.
Meals like this make you realise that you really don’t need to have meat in every single meal.
I feel like we decide every meal starting with what protein we feel like that day. How come we don’t do that for vegetables too?!
If you were looking for a Meat-free Monday meal, then here you go!
I think you’re ready for the recipe right about…
Here’s how to make my gluten free cheesy gnocchi and spinach bake recipe!
My Gluten Free Cheesy Gnocchi and Spinach Bake Recipe (low FODMAP)
- 500g gnocchi I use fresh gnocchi from Asda that's gluten free usually
- 400g chopped tomatoes you could use pasatta here too
- garlic infused oil for cooking the gnocchi initially and to drizzle into the sauce
- 2 1/2 tsp mixed herbs or herbs de provence
- 1 tbsp basil puree
- 3-4 handfuls of spinach
- 125g cheese grated (dairy free or lactose free if necessary)
- 2-3 tbsp mascarpone / soft cheese optional, (dairy free soft cheese or lactose free mascarpone if necessary)
- fresh chives chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Add a little garlic infused oil to your frying pan and add the gnocchi. Allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Add in your chopped tomatoes followed by your mixed herbs and basil puree. Mix it all in. (If you want an even saucier bake, you might like to add a little extra chopped tomatoes or pasatta at this stage but that's optional and less advisable for low FODMAP)
- Once your tomato sauce is hot in your pan, add your spinach and allow it to wilt down. Season with salt and pepper.
- Get out an oven proof dish and spoon in your gnocchi and sauce into the dish. You can add a little bit of the grated cheese as you go, but leave most of it for the top!
- Cover the top with your grated cheese and dollop your soft cheese randomly on top too.
- Place in the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes until the cheese is all melted and going a little golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve with freshly chopped chives and fresh basil leaves on top. Enjoy!
Thanks for reading how to make my gluten free cheesy gnocchi and spinach bake recipe! If you make it, I’d love to see how it turns out. So absolutely make sure that you send me a pic using my social media links below…
Thanks for reading,
Oh and don’t forget to pin this for later!