My gluten free ginger biscuits recipe makes the most chewy yet crunchy, warming treats ever. Well actually, I shouldn’t say ‘mine’ as it’s my Grandma’s recipe! But in all fairness, mine are gluten free, dairy free and low FODMAP too.
Baking ginger biscuits has been a part of my life since I can remember. My Mum & I have been baking ginger biscuits since I was at infant school together. I used to bring big batches of biscuits in for my classmates when I was only six or seven. Bribery is always the fastest way to popularity!
At seven I even won a competition at our school’s Harvest Festival for almost this recipe. I say ‘almost’ because back then I used regular plain flour, but nowadays I make 100% gluten free ginger biscuits. Plus, I didn’t want Mark to miss out on trying them, so I made them dairy free for him too.
This recipe was originally written down on a scrap piece of paper by my Grandma and given to my Mum several years ago. It’s like a tatty, dog-eared family heirloom! We still have the original piece of paper hidden within a huge, dusty old recipe book somewhere too. I think it might just be older than I am…
But the thing I love most about this recipe, is that it’s just so simple and modest. My Grandma doesn’t get to bake much these days, but her recipes were always the same: easy to bake and turned out beautiful every time.
I’ve always loved her old school style of baking. It’s no nonsense, with simple ingredients and they look beautiful without the need for tons of decorating or icing. That’s the philosophy I try and stick to with my baking too.
My gluten free ginger biscuits (there I go again claiming all the credit) aren’t like traditional ginger biscuits or gingerbread. They’re slightly sticky, super soft and chewy with a fiery ginger flavour. Basically everything that you dream of when you can’t eat gluten!
Anyway, lets get on with the recipe!
- * 350g gluten free plain flour
- * 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- * 275g golden caster sugar
- * 150g golden syrup
- * 110g dairy free hard margarine
- * 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- * 2-3 tsp ground ginger
- * 1 large egg
- * pinch of salt
- 1) Preheat your oven to 180C.
- 2) Melt the golden syrup and dairy free margarine in a saucepan
- 3) In a separate bowl add all your dry ingredients.
- 4) Beat an egg and mix it into your dry ingredients.
- 5) Stir in your melted syrup and margarine into the bowl gradually, combining as you go.
- 6) Once completely added keep mixing until completely combined. You should have a smooth but fairly sticky dough.
- 7) Roll your dough into balls roughly the size of a ping pong ball (could be smaller or larger though) and place on a pre prepared baking sheet. Ensure there is plenty of space around each ball as they will spread whilst cooking.
- 8) Bake for around 12 minutes.
- 9) Remove from oven, they should be golden and very soft. Leave to cool a little and they will harden up. Transfer carefully (ease the edges!) from your baking sheet to finish cooling on a cooling rack.
- 10) Enjoy!
- These measurements makes a lot of biscuits so feel free to half the measurements if you want to make less.
So there you have it! My gluten free ginger biscuits, which are also dairy free and low FODMAP. I really hope that you give them a try, you won’t be disappointed. Let me know if you do, I’d love to see your pictures, send them over on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Do you have any favourite, nostalgic gluten free biscuit recipes you’ve been making for years? Drop a comment below.
Thanks so much for reading,
Oh, and don’t forget to pin this before you leave!